I am going to be without a computer later this week and so I am blogging this now, a little bit earlier than I usually do.
*** *** ***
Firstly, a Huge Thank You to the 25 people who have been exceeding generous with their time, and their own resources, and tried out / are still trying out the prototype Fairy Tale Theatre Kit.
Particular, thanks goes to the lady who took all the photographs and tried out all the different sorts of paper and sent me a detailed, written report which contained several excellent suggestions for improvements to the theatre.
Also to the 5 people who sent me the link to the blog of a lady called Kris, who uses step by step photos as a guide to making her miniatures. I recommend looking at her work here http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.co.uk
Secondly, another Huge Thank You to the 17 people who took the time to contact me and explain (in some detail) why They Will Never Touch a Miniature Kit Again As Long As They Live.
Despite the majority of the feedback that I received, I tried the theatre on Etsy over the weekend. (It was priced at $5.50 – with an explantion I was looking for feedback and an offer to send it free to anyone who would like to try it out). It received 12 views and I was sent one message. The message contained one lovely quote – that by trying out a kit I was, “Devaluing My Brand”.
I loved the idea of having a Brand to Devalue, so I asked for details, but the sender wasn’t/couldn’t be clear about whether they thought the theatre was Bad, or if kits in general were Bad. I am sorry that I can’t reproduce our correspondence in whole; I don’t have the other party’s permission to do that.
Anyway, all the feedback that I have had suggests that:
- Printed Kits / printable kits / downloadable kits / printies have a reputation for being very poor quality. (Some people were kind enough to direct me to sites and share files with me.)
- That there are many people who long to make things for themselves. (I understand this completely, I like making things myself).
- That there are many people who long to make things and have trouble getting supplies. (I know how hard finding the exactly the “right” thing is – believe me, I do! – and I can offer to send out small pieces of wood / paper /card etc. BUT, the postage will probably cost more than the materials. I am happy to tell you where I get my supplies from, but please remember that I am in the UK and you will still need to pay postage.)
THEN THERE WAS GLUE !!!
Glue alone deserves a whole blog entry to itself.
I told one lady that I use wood glue on paper. Her reply sounded unhappy – in her experience, wood glue is YELLOW /BROWN, while in my experience it is white when wet and clear when dry and does not discolour (at least, in 25 years of use, it hasn’t yet ) – and you need to go looking to find some with dye added to it
*** *** ***
By the way –
If you are looking for conservation grade glue I suggest considering the type/brands shown here
and at this one in particular
but, unless you are very lucky in your local shops, you will need to get this through the post.
*** *** ***
Finally, I came to the conclusion that if I was going to “Devalue My Brand” I might as well make a proper job of it.
I am going to make a page on this blog called Projects, and the first thing on it will be The Fairy Tale Theatre Kit.
If I add more “projects” they will be in the same high resolution, pdf format and of a standard size – A4 – so that it will be possible to simply click on the link to the pdf and print what is on screen. If you want to save the pdf to your computer / a CD / data stick etc. you will be able do that too.
- You may use the contents of the pdfs for yourself – this includes making things to sell.
- You may share them with your friends and family, and miniature club.
- You may link to them from your website / blog / satellite station, if you have one.
- You may customise them.
- You may use them / the design ideas, in whole, or in part, as for inspiration for making your own things.
You may not copy the pdf, or the images contained within the pdf, in whole, or in part, and resell them.
If you find that they are usable quality and would like to ask for another project/some other downloadable material, please use the poll form below and let me know.